Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sickness, War and Cambrige

Friday March 19th- Saturday March 20th- When the class got home from France, I was feeling very sick. A few people had been sick before the Paris trip and it was just a matter of time until I succumbed to it. All of Friday was classes to make up for the ones that we missed on the Paris trip and then Saturday was a Kalyn-sleeps-for-20-hours day to get better. I did wake up occasionally to throw up the food I tried to eat but other than that I enjoyed a peaceful sleep with reoccurring dreams of me falling to my death. Needless to say, I had a very enjoyable weekend. Saturday night was good though, my roommate Sarah felt sorry for me being sick and missing out on a roommate date to the most delicious cupcake store in London, Candy Cakes, that she bought me one! The one on the left is mine, double chocolate caramel (Sarah knows me so well :] ) and her's is the pink one, blueberry cheesecake. So actually, my weekend wasn't so terrible after all.

Sunday March 21st- Sunday was the best day of my weekend. The Primary president found replacements for us for singing time, which was a little sad for me but still a relief. I still practice piano when I can so that I will never be put on the spot and feel worthless ever again. My class was so cute today. The lesson was on Jesus feeding the 5,000 and the activity we did was fishing! I made a pole and cut out some fish and wrote things like 'make a fish face' on them for them to do when the fish were caught. It was so much fun! I love my class :] Next week is my last week teaching them and that makes me very sad. Maybe I'll just have a quick lesson on Sunday and the rest of the time have a party!

Monday March 22nd- Classes were moved an hour earlier today so that the whole class could go to a classical music concert. The concert was of a violinist,Julia Fischer. She was amazingly good and the person who accompanied her on the piano (forgot his name)was aright too. They played a Beethoven piece to open and I thought it was awful. It was nothing like what I expected, which was something like the For Elise song. It was messy and had note combinations and chords that hurt your ears, it must have been written in the later part of his life when his hearing was going. The other two pieces were by Barrtock and were more the classical that I had in mind. It was alright and fun to go to but I don't think I would like to hear that combination of songs again any time soon. After the concert, Sarah and I went to the camera store to buy a new camera. For the first time it was not my camera that was broken! Hers was and she replaced it with the one I replaced my 4th Kodak with, a Nikon. The workers said it would be better than a Kodak, hopefully they are right :] Homework was the only other activity after this adventure.

Tuesday March 23rd- After the regular classes, Cam and I went back to the Imperial War Museum. For our Political Science class, we have to write a paper on this place and I needed to get more note. We ended up playing around more than looking for homework things, but it was so much fun :) This is me trying out the bed in the replica U-Boat, I barely fit, good thing I didn't have to stay in that boat for long! The best exhibit we went to was the Children's War part. I went there the first time that I went to this museum but didn't get to stay for long. This time I got to walk around and even talk to a man and wife who were evacuated from London in WW2, it was pretty cool. Another fun part was the Secret War section that was all about the rise and acts of spies and secret service men. Kinda had the whole James Bond-y feel and I loved it :] Wish I could be a spy. We made it back home just in time for dinner and then the rest of the night was spent doing homework. Finals are coming up and I am starting to regret not getting all my homework done sooner.

Wednesday March 24th- Cambridge was the day trip today! As a class, the first stop in Cambridge was the American Memorial Cemetery for WW2, it was very pretty and melancholy, mixed emotions all around. Happy for what they did, sad for what they gave up, and grateful for what came after. I didn't know if smiling was appropriate or if I should look solemn or salute. I figured that saluting should be reserved for someone who has the standing to do so, I looks silly when I frown so I couldn't have done that, so the only thing left to do was to smile. It was a brief stay but as enjoyable as a cemetery can be. Our tour guide took us on a walk past the wall of missing and told us a few stories about the men and one woman who were listed, wish there was enough time to learn all the stories. We walked through the chapel that was on the grounds next and then had a few minutes to privately remember and think. Sarah snapped a picture of me during my thinking time: I really am very grateful for all the men and women who served our country in WW1 and WW2, with out them and their sacrifice, the world would not be the great place it is today. Thank you soldiers past, present and to come.
After getting back on the coach and driving a bit further, we got to the schools of Cambridge! It was a fun trip, I think I like the school of Oxford better but still had a blast here! King's Collage Chapel was the first place that we toured and then we split up. I was in the best group, with Aarin, Anna, the Sarahs, Reesa, Shar and myself. We walked around the town a bit then walked into a museum. It was a modern art museum which I really don't like. This was all computer animated modern art too, some were just TV screens blinking bright colors. It gave me the biggest headache of the trip, even worse than when I was sick. The following activity was very relaxing though and made my head better :] It is one of the most famous pastimes in the Cambridge social world; punting. This is similar to a gondola in Italy, a small boat propelled by a stick. It was so much fun! We took a guided tour and our guide, Norman, was so funny! He told us all about the 5 colleges that we saw along the river, including St John's College, Trinity College (where the royal family all were educated), King's College, and Queen's College. It was very nice to lounge on a boat and learn about the amazing school. By far the best part was the chance to drive it! I did a good job if I do stay so myself :] It was a great day even if it was Cambridge and not Oxford :]

Thursday March 25th- was just another class day with a trip to get a new pair of jeans as well because mine all have holes in them, either I am gaining a crazy amount of weight or the Centre's washing machines are too rough. I would like to think it was the latter :]

Friday March 26th- Today was the class' very last day trip. That thought is very sad, I am not ready for this experience to end. The last trip was enjoyable though.
We went to Hampton Court Palace. Yes another castle, but this one was King Henry the IV's favorite palace. He was married to his 6th wife here and in an attempt to draw more people to come to the palace for a tour, they set the it up as if it was in the 1500s the day before Henry's wedding to Lady Jane Parr. It was so fun! Here are 'King Henry' and 'Lady Parr' themselves! The actors were very so in character it was enjoyable, not the lame acts some places put on. There were groups of little school kids touring too, at the beginning of the tour we were taught 'proper court etiquette' and how when we see the King we have to drop to our knees in a bow. At one point a group of kids were wandering the halls and 'King Henry' turned the corner (from the make-up room) and the kids all face planted, they couldn't bow fast enough. It was so cute :]
In the gardens there was a hedge maze. I went through it with Ali and Allyson and we totally rocked it! There were only 2 dead ends that we hit, this was one of them. But we found the light by, can you guess?, always choosing the right :] It was fun :] The gardens surrounding the palace were beautiful like all the others but the best part is that it is spring time here finally! The flowers were in bloom and there were birds singing! Simply amazing and lovely. I even got to frolic in a field of flowers :] And not just any flower, the Queen's flower; the daffodil. These flowers are every where and are so pretty! They look fake because you think that there in no way anything this beautiful and colorful could possibly come from the mud but it does and it's bright colors contrast the bleak sky so well that the sun seems to shine even when the weather is overcast!
After touring this last of the Tudor palaces, most of the class went to the Borough Market for lunch. This is the best place to get food on Fridays and Saturdays. It is cheap, and fresh produce, handmade candy, freshly hunted meats, everything you could ever wish to place in your mouth and digest. And some things that you would never consider to eat. One example of this is something that I actually tried. A kangaroo burger :] It was very yummy! Tasted like a mix between ground beef and sausage. I had cranberry sauce on it as well and was one of the best burgers I have ever had :] After consuming an endangered species, I went to the building that played the part of the Leaky Cauldron in the Harry Potter movies :] I think that it looks prettier here but that may just be my Muggle eyes not being able to see the magic, which is a crying shame. I'm still holding out that I am a late bloomer and that someday I will be able to be magic. Even if I just am magic to one person that will be enough for me :] That's all of my week so far! Stay tuned for further adventures! Have a great day! :]

No comments:

Post a Comment