Monday, April 5, 2010

Adventures Up North -Day 3

Wednesday April 1st- After spending the night in a castle, I thought that I would be as exciting and I would be bored. However I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the rest of the trip despite it not being on Parr with being a princess in a castle for one night. Our next stop after Durham Castle was kind of out in the middle of nowhere in the snow.
Yes snow. We went so far up north that spring hadn't crept so far yet. Why did we go so far north to a plane and barren field? To see something that has only been done twice in World History; a Roman defensive wall. There are many Roman city walls still in existence, since almost every city had a wall, but there are only two recorded defensive non city walls build by the Romans. Hadrian's Wall is one of them and that is where we were this snowy and blustery day. Here I am on top of the Wall, it was so windy I was almost blown away! It was cool to see but getting on the bus was very welcome, even with Tony's tid-bits.
When all were thoroughly warmed, we headed up to the Lake District to visit William Wordsworth's home. Wordsworth is one of Britain's top poets and one of the only poets I have actually read before coming on this program. This is the view from his writing room, where most of his greatest poems were penned. It is gorgeous up north here by the lakes, I can see why people would want to summer here. I was almost inspired enough to write a poem, but I opted for buying a copy of Wordsworth's poems instead (The book I bought was printed in 1899! And is a reprint of the first book of his sonnets, so cool!) This picture is me at his last estate where he died and his family still lives. Once again I looked for a son of the family to marry so I could live here, but sadly just like at Chatsworth I did not see one. As much as the students (and secretly the faculty too) were annoyed at Tony's never ending pointless jabber, he was a very good driver. He got us down some roads that you would never think a 70 seater coach could fit down.
After I was content that we would not die on the winding roads of the Lake District, I watched out the window at the beautiful countryside and scenery. We arrived at the hostile we were staying at this night soon after, the Hawkshead, shortly after the scary drive from Wordsworth's house. We had class meetings while here but luckily I only had one class to attend (Greek and Roman mythology). Most of my roommates for the hostile (Anne, Michelle, Britin, Katie, Shar, CJ, Ali, and me, we have different roomies on trips than in the Centre) had two classes. Brit and I were the only ones who did not have the second class so we got the party started until the others could come and join us! Actually, the whole student group had a party for Brittany's birthday! I had only eaten sweets and junk food today (what else do you eat on a coach?) and after the birthday cake I got my first ever sugar stomach ache. It was not fun at all, but laying on a couch talking to Kellen till midnight was a good remedy and it went away. I can't wait to see the excitement of tomorrow, have a great day! :]

No comments:

Post a Comment