Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Adventures Up North -Day 4

Thursday April 1st- Happy April Fool's day! There was only one real prank in this group, and I helped plan it :] Dr. Howe, the English teacher, announced when we got on the coach that our essays on Wordsworth house were due when we got off at our next stop and a few of us students who knew about it over reacted and freaked all the others out! It was rather fun :] But that was towards the end of the day, after waking up and breakfasting in the hostile, we took a walk from our hostile to Beatrix Potter's house. Enjoy some pictures of the beautiful scenery and the cute lamb. Everywhere you looked here there were mother and baby sheep, seeing the lambs run was the cutest thing on this trip, so precious!


































Such a pretty walk. It was over much too soon as we reached Hilltop Farm, which was Beatrix Potter's home. Beatrix Potter is the lady who wrote 'Peter Rabbit' 'Benjamin Bunny' 'Jemima Puddle-Duck' and many others. I remember reading her books when I was young and it was exciting to see where she lived. Her first few books were written while she was living in London but she did write a few here. She also met the man she would later marry while summering in the Lake District with her family (she was 47 when she got married, very unusual for that time period.) The house was nothing special, but the grounds were gorgeous as all are here.
Tony could not get his coach up the hill to Hilltop farm and we were a bit rushed so we had to hire a smaller shuttle coach to take us down to meet our coach to go to our next destination. The shuttle was a 7 seater and the driver was taking blind corners at such high speeds I thought we would flip over or hit another car and die. But we didn't and were able to safely drive to Preston to meet up with Peter Fagg again and learn about the Church in this first city to have the Gospel.

This is the monument that the missionaries would preach from when they came to the city square.









This is Peter telling us an amazing story that happened at this building on Wilford Street. When the first missionaries were here the night before the first baptism their apartment was overrun with evil spirits trying to stop them from spreading the word. They were able to overcome the spirits with their priesthood and the baptisms went well and the Church was able to grow immensely.














These above pictures are plaques that are in the Japanese Garden in Preston that are dedicated to the Mormon religion and how it growth in Europe started in this city. There were a few more around the rest of the city but I didn't get pictures :[ but it's ok because these are great! It was so much fun seeing my religion so public admired in a city that has historically against it. It was so much fun though, thinking of and seeing places that all the miracles and wonderful things happened at.



This is the place that the first baptism in Europe took place in.



What better way to end a Church history day than with a trip to the Temple? This is the Preston, England temple. I think it is prettier that the London temple on the outside, can't speak for the inside because we did not go inside but it was alright to stay outside. Actually it was more than alright, I still could feel the spirit so strong walking the grounds that I never wanted to leave.

Sadly though, we did have to leave to drive to Liverpool. Liverpool is a much sketchier place than London is it seems. For example, while driving the coach to the hotel we would be staying at we say a drug deal happen. On the street. At a bus stop. In broad daylight. Not joking. A guy was walking with his girlfriend around the bus stop in circles as if waiting/looking for someone. An older business man came up to them, spoke to the boy, boy reached in his pants, pulled out a bag of white stuff, man handed him money, boy handed over white stuff, both left. Scary!! All of us in the bus saw this and could not believe it was really happening. But it did.

Luckily our hotel was in a nicer part of town. And my hotel window had the best view of the pier: This is Prince Albert Pier. The 'Liverpool Eye' (I don't know it really has a name, it's just a farris wheel but I like the Liverpool Eye hehe) is on the left side and on the right is a big brown building. In this building is the Beatles Museum! That is the only thing I want to see in Liverpool really, not necessarily for me but for my dad :] Don''t worry Daddy! I will be going there for you in the morning :] After eating dinner in the bar, my roommate Reesa (who is my real roommate too) and I went to bed early! We were the first asleep and it felt so good. We did watch an episode of 'Glee' before sleeping. And by watch I mean talk during the dialogue and intently listen to the singing :] Have a great day, you know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment