Friday, January 8, 2010

Arrival

Friday January 8th- Made it! I safely arrived in London today, even though my flight was an hour behind schedule. That was still OK though as most flights out of the airports I left from were canceled. I left from LAX Which was not a problem at all and flew into Chicago where 500 flights were canceled because of the snowstorm.
Luckily mine was not one of them and half of the airport I flew into in England (Heathrow) was closed and luckily, again, my flight was into the half that was still opened. Thank you Heavenly Father for hearing my prayers to let me get to London on time! I did not fly alone either, my friend Kellen Fowers (who is doing the same study abroad as me) flew with me the whole way and we had a blast! Sadly, some of our other peers who are coming have not made it yet. The other London airport (Gatwick) has been closed since Wednesday. It is set to open again Saturday but that is still 2 days later then they had booked for. Everything will work out though :] and this adventure we are all having will be worth all the problems we faced getting here.
Kellen and I were picked up by a driver who took us to the BYU London Center because the Tube (subway) was shut down from all the snow (a whole inch people, this is a big deal :p) This is a picture of our driver taking us out of the airport, please notice that the steering wheel is on the wrong side! After driving for about 20 minutes we got to the London Center! Here I am in front of my house for the next 4 months :] It is actually very large, two buildings put together, 7 stories high each. The first hour was spent exploring our new home. The boys are sleeping in the attic on the 7th story (which is 83 steps away from the kitchen, that's the worst part they say) and I have my own room on the 4th floor. It's rather lonely but I'll survive and there's no way I won't meet everyone anyways. Here is another shot of the London Center, this is only one of the buildings (the one I'm living in) so imagine two of these together) Other things that I did on my first day in London was to walk around my town! Walked around the shops on the street, the mall like Whiteley's, Kensington Palace, Embassy Row (all the Foreign Embassies), and saw my first double decker bus :] I know I'm going to like it here! I'll keep you posted on all my adventures, have a great day!

2 comments: