The first stop sure did "Brighton up my day" hehe. Brighton, as ever Jane Austen fan knows, is where Lydia Bennett went to mingle with the soldiers :] Sadly, I did not see any soldiers :[ but it was OK, I saw the beach! I was so beach deprived ever since I've been at BYU I have missed the beach and now I can say the last beach I went to was the English Channel shore with France off in the distance! (I didn't see it as it was too cloudy but it was still there!)
(Pictures are of me after I touched the water [actually pretty warm, well compared to the chilly wind] and me on Brighton Pier)
We went to the Royal Pavilion (the palace in Brighton) that was made for King George the 4th. It was during a time when the English were on bad terms with the French (like always) so all things French were looked down upon. To stay away from this, the palace is modeled after the Taj Mahal with the interior entirely Chinese (conflicting, yes, but pretty.) I wish I could have snuck a few pictures of the interior because it was so extravagant and awe-inspiring (the dining room chandelier was held up by a fire breathing dragon to give you a mental picture) but here is me and my roommate Sarah in front of it!
While it does not look exactly like the Taj Mahal, just remember that none of the architects had ever seen the Taj, just heard about it. So it's a pretty good representation just from word of mouth. Queen Victoria (my favourite monarch) lived there too but then sold it to the city. After our escapades at Brighton, we made our way to Battle Abby. This place is the most beautiful place I have seen since I was here. Sadly this is the only picture I have of it before my camera gave up the ghost:
It does not look that amazing in the picture, but it is the grounds that will take your breath away. The great battle of 1066 was fought on these grounds. The original Abby was built to commemorate the battle and the men who fell. The original is long since destroyed (by Henry the 8th when he left the church) but the ruins are still there and they would be the perfect place for a photo shoot. Rolling hills, hedge mazes with hidden doors everywhere, the pillars of the old church, the monks houses, you really have to see it to understand how beautiful the place is. I definitely would not mind going there again if anyone comes to visit! :] The last place we went (that I have no pictures of hmmm wonder why...) was called Rye. I don't know any importance of this town except rye bread comes from it, but I don't like rye bread so that's not too important. We only stopped there to get dinner and then left. I thought it was a little of a waste of time but it was still a pretty place. Thursday after classes I got a new camera then went to the British Library with 3 other girls. It is half library and half museum. It was very cool. We just saw the highlights room that had originals of Handel's 'Messiah', Mozart's first symphony, the Bronte sister's 'Jane Eyre', some correspondence letters from Jane Austen and Shakespeare (not to each other, to their friends), and something I thought my Dad would like- A tribute to the Beatles. It had a few scraps of paper that had their scribblings of the beginnings of their songs such as "yesterday' 'help!' 'ticket to ride' and more. Here is a video I made with my flip of it! If you listen closely, you should be able to hear the chorus of "Yesterday" in the background. Love you Daddy! That's all for now, have a great day! :]
No comments:
Post a Comment