Saturday, January 9, 2010

First Day in the City

Saturday January 9th- Today was my first day going into the city :] and being who I am and the friends I have made, the first stop was King's Cross Station and Platform 9 3/4! It really does exist! And it made me feel like my life is now complete. The station itself was under construction but it was still one of the most beautiful things i have ever seen, just made me all warm and fuzzy inside :] After that adventure I learned that there are other Harry Potter things all around the city that I can't wait to do! Another HP thing I did was walk across the bridge the Dementors destroy in the 6th movie and I lived to tell the tale, what a relief He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was defeated before I came here. (hehehehe....)
After that my group and I, which was me, Kellen, and Cameron, went into downtown London and saw this amazing view: You can see Big Ben, the Parliament Houses, and the London Eye. We wanted to ride the London Eye but because there is an inch of snow on the ground everything is closed. Trains have been canceled, airports closed, sections of the city closed, all for a bit of snow. I find it funny that for Provo to close down there need to be snow high enough to cover the first floor of buildings yet here where they normally don't get much snow and inch will close all.
The next picture has no significance at all but I found it hilarious, probably just because of Harry Potter again.
I went with 7 other people to see a production of one of the scariest plays ever, The Woman in Black, it is about a man telling a true story that happened to him in order to rid himself of the ghost that he sees that predicts the death of children. It was mainly scary in a jumpy way and that is the worst for me. And to top it off I was sitting all by myself during the first act two rows from the stage and the scary parts always seemed to happen right in front of me. During the intermission I went and sat in a person who didn't show up's seat by two other girls, Katie and Brittan, and Kellen so I felt protected. I would recommend the show to anyone who likes to be terrified.
This is also a pointless picture but I am on Drury Lane. Never in my life had I wanted a muffin more. But sadly the bakery was closed.
This is the intermission screen that was shown in the theatre that we saw the scary show at which was in the Fourtune Theatre.
Today, Sunday, was my first experience in the church here :] We all went to the same ward today because the trains to the others were too delayed from the snow. The 40 students that are here are divided between two stakes and 6 wards. I am in a ward in the Hyde stake in the Whitechapel ward. I am hopping that the calling I get is a primary teacher! We saw a list of callings we've received and primary teacher was the most frequent calling.
Well, that's all for now! Just planning weekend trips right now looking into Spain, Greece, Austria, and Germany and a few more. I just want to see everything! Have a great day :]

2 comments:

  1. Kalyn! So happy you are there and are having a fun time. How fun that you are seeing all those fun places! They are real! You are so cute and I love your blog! Love your coat by the way! Love you, hope you are enjoying your time. I'm sure it will go by way too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kalyn, they actually built that Platform after HP came out - I think I need to go back so I can see it! Hyde Park Chapel was the mission home for Cordell when he was on his mission there. Have a wonderful time!! Loving the memories you're triggering for me!!

    ReplyDelete