This was the first thing that we saw when walking in to get our tickets (I went with my Shakespeare class)and it made me emotional. I felt like the biggest baby but theatre was the biggest part of my life for so long and being in the city where perhaps the best playwright ever lived and being in his play house was just so touching to me. I know I'm not even that good of an actor and I have no way to perform in the near future but I was just so grateful to be there.
Here is a picture of the majestic Globe. This is actually the third Globe theatre constructed, the first two burned down. We had a wonderful tour guide who told us amazing tid bits about Shakespearean history that I never knew. Did you know that the line from Romeo and Juliet "a Rose by any other name would smell as sweet" was actually referencing the Globe's competing theatre, the Rose? The Rose theatre was right by the Globe and had an open sewer running by it that gave off a very bad stink causing all audience members and actors to smell when they left the play house. I laughed at this little jab to a rival theatre hidden in the most well known play. I also learned that people back then didn't go to "see" a play, they went to "hear" a play. They went to exercise their imagination and listen to poetry, as opposed to us nowadays going for entertainment. I would like to hear a Shakespeare play very soon :] I did not get to live out my dream of standing on the stage but I did touch it!
It is a bit blurry because I could not keep a steady hand I was so excited. In the gift shop I spent the rest of my cash (which I do not regret in the slightest) buying wonderful souvenirs and I learned the best insults ever all taken from plays. My new goal is to use these while I am in London. "Out of my sight! Thou dost infect mine eyes!" "Thou art some fool; I am loath to beat thee!" "Thou art naught save a green eyed monster!" "Thou stinkiest like a goat!" "Mine eyes do bleed at the sight of thee." Hehehe if I ever use one of these on you please don't be offended, it is all for fun :] One of the things that I bought is a set of 30 Shakespearean quotes on love which are so much nicer :] I can't wait to use them on my fridge! Another great quote-ish thing I saw was this poster:
Sorry if you can't read it, it's great. I also got to try on a costume piece from Macbeth!! It is one of the character's helmets and is way too big for me, while that is a downer that I could never wear the hat and get away with it, it shows that I do not have a big head which I guess is good :] No one likes a big headed person anyways hehe (I mean big headed as in arrogant not as in the actual circumference of their cranium)
All in all, I think this is going to be my favorite day here in London. I just don't see how any other day could possibly top it. Not only did I go to the amazing Globe, but I walked across the Millennial Bridge. That may not sound too exciting but when you hear what it is from you'll get excited! It is the bridge that in the beginning of the 6th Harry Potter movie the Dementors attack and destroy! I survived. (obviously). While walking over it, you could see London Bridge and the Tower Bridge:
here is another view of the bridge in case you still do not recognise it: 
I won't ramble on anymore even though I could go on forever about the Globe, but I probably should stop procrastinating the day for my repentance, I mean the doing of my homework (same thing in a way, one saves your soul the other saves your grade) Good night! Have a great day tomorrow!
Thsts so awesome Kal that you got to go to the globe!! I was so happy for you! You are cute, I love your blog, so glad you are having fun!
ReplyDelete