Saturday, January 30, 2010

Fashion Show

Friday-Saturday January 29-30th- Last week I received a package from my mom (thanks mommy!) that had a dress my Grandma had added a few more inches on the bottom to and she has asked me to post a picture of me in it on my blog. I haven't wanted to because it seemed silly to just post that one picture of me modeling, but now I can post it because I went to Little India today (Saturday) and bought 2 Indian outfits! :]
First here is my in the dress from my mom and grandma:

I was the first person here to get a package from home and I felt special and extra loved and then this gorgeous dress was in it! I knew Gram was sewing it, but I didn't know it would turn out so cute! I love it! And every time I wear it I get compliments, so I wear it a lot :P hehe. I have worn it to see Les Miserables and to church and feel just so pretty every time I'm in it! Thanks again!


This is probably going to be the thing I'm most excited about buying here :] I love it! This is a saree (also spelled sari, I haven't figured out if the different spellings mean anything yet) that I bought while on a day trip to Little India. Little India is just a nickname for Southall, England. It is a city with the majority of the population from India. We went to learn about the Sikh and Hindu religions, we visited a few temples (I loved seeing this, I am really starting to think about changing my major to something that I can study World religions. My favorite part of being on this study abroad is learning about different ways of worshiping God, I never thought it would be this interesting)and then ate at the most amazing Indian restaurant ever, I am craving it even just thinking about it...


This is a picture of the second dress that I bought in Southall, this is called a salwaar kameez. I absolutely adore the color scheme in this, the Internet does not do it justice, you'll have to see it in person! I also bought the cute little gold shoes in Little India :] They make me so happy, I have never been one for flats really but I love these.
Thanks so much to Eleanor and Emily for introducing me to Bollywood! I was about to die from happiness when I bought this dress and want to show them so badly! (At the moment I am listening to the "Aaja Nachle" soundtrack and dancing along while wearing it and am thoroughly not paying much attentions to what I am writing because I am having way too much fun! My roommates think I'm crazy :] But that's just because they haven't been converted to Bollywood-ism yet hehehe!)Most girls on the train ride over to Southall thought I was stupid for wanting to buy these things but then when I put them on at home, a few girls said they wanted to go back to get one themselves :]
The first temple that we went to was a Sikh temple, this religion is very similar to Christianity actually, I did not expect that at all. But it was so cool to see how it worked. All of us had to cover our heads out of respect for the religion, and it was just so amazing seeing everyone respect another culture so fully. They even served us lunch at the temple as well as welcoming us with open arms, teaching us all about their religion, and sharing everything they had. Here is a picture of me and some of the other girls at lunch and the sacred shrine in the temple (they said it was alright to take pictures because it was not a holy day):




The day before the Southall adventure, Friday, was a free day. I went with a few other girls to Camden Market. This is a daily market of mostly modern and punk things but they did have some very fun things too. Something that I want very badly is this painting that I saw and it's sister painting:
It's sister painting is of Paris (I will be there in 5 weeks!!) with the same red tree in it. I don't know why I didn't just buy them when I saw them (o yeah... trying not to spend all the money in the world) but I plan on going back and getting them if they are still there. Cross your fingers for me! If they are not there I think I will cry and then attempt to paint them myself and then get so angry at my lack of artistic skills and then become a hermit out of sadness... hehe not really but please cross your fingers anyways)it looks a lot better in person but I still love it. It's fairly large too (20'' by 24'' I think it was.) That's all that's new for now! My next post will say what my church calling is! I hope it's Primary! Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see your blog! What a wonderful adventure in culture you are able to have...I will check back regularly to see what else is new...keep up the good work!~love, Sister Boyer

    ReplyDelete